Used for everything you can think of- boosting immunity, alleviating bad moods, helping wounds heal, sweetening home fragrances, fighting insomnia, getting grounded– this is one oil you can grab and go with today! Unlike many essential oils, lavender can be applied on the skin directly*, and most people love the scent so its also “social”…!
When wading through the somewhat unknown territory of aromatherapy a few years ago, I will freely admit that I would get overwhelmed at the displays full of little vials that all seemed to smell the same within a few minutes. Aromatherapy is not the easiest art and science to master; professional courses can entail over a thousand hours to achieve certification. That said, my first tentative purchase from the mysterious counter of many scents became my stock standard in aromatherapy essentials: LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL.
(*though always test a drop or two on your skin to be sure you don’t have allergies, as these oils are potent! read more info on testing for essential oil allergies. )
HERE ARE 12 KILLER USES FOR LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL THAT I AM HOOKED ON:
- Sweeter dreams. Drop a few drops of lavender onto your pillow to sleep better. (I remove the pillow case and drop a bit directly on the pillow so I don’t stain my cases…)
- Linen loveliness. Toss a wet washcloth loaded with 6 or 7 drops of lavender essential oil into your dryer with your sheets and towels for the best freshening ever.
- Puppy chill pill. Dampen a bandanna, add a few drops of lavender oil, wring it out then tie it on your puppy to chill ’em out when anxiety runs high.
- Calm the air. Diffuse lavender essential oil into any room that is filled with stress to calm things down.
- Hair curl potion! Lavender essential oil is great for your hair, especially for you curlies out there. (I happen to be obsessed with the Curly Girl hair method, though I’ll save that for another post!) Mix up a small spray bottle with a few tablespoons of silicon-free hair conditioner (natural stuff is the best), 10 drops of lavender oil and about 2 cups of water. Spray into hair to condition or refresh curls.
- Dry skin salvation. Killer healing salve for super-dry skin: natural shea butter softened (let the container sit in the sun for a while) and mixed with a few drops of lavender essential oil (and add sandalwood essential oil to be extra fancy!). I have found that is incredible for super-dry skin.
- Scalp tonic. Massage your scalp and stimulate hair follicles: mix some olive oil, a few drops of lavender essential oil and a few drops of rosemary essential oil. Massage on your scalp and leave on for as long as you can. Shampoo out. This has been a weekly wonder for my hair.
- Make a tea. If you have extremely high grade lavender essential oil (marked as edible, please!), add three drops to a cup of honey and, ta-dah, fancier tea time every morning!
- More food fun: Put a drop of extremely high grade (again, designated as edible!) lavender essential oil in your lemonade or iced tea to take it up a delightful notch. Or mix a drop into a lemon vinaigrette!!!
- For a relaxing bath in minutes,sprinkle 6 or 7 drops of lavender oil onto a cup or so of Epsom salt. A scoop of powdered milk or a half cup of cream (extra moisturizing!) or milk (lactic acid softens skin) will sweeten the mix even more. Stir it into your bath right before you enter to ensure that you get the full-dose of aroma greatness. If you add it too early you run the risk if diffusing lots of the oil into the air of your empty bathroom before you arrive…
- Moth repellent. A few drops of lavender on a cotton ball in the drawers of your armoire will keep your clothes fresh (and, incidentally, is used to repel moths).
- Fragrant, energetic air freshener. 10 or 12 drops of lavender essential oil in two cups of distilled water can make a fast-fix room spray. Put in a small spray bottle. Do not spray directly on fabrics or furniture. I use this to brighten dark, gloomy corners.
And there are about 200 more uses, though these are things I have done and find immediately useful. If yu have favorites, please don’t hesitate to leave them below! xoxo Dana
And, if you want to dive in to your own personalized feng shui in a modern, practical way, Say hello to Feng Shui 101. Its the guide I made for you to create your own personalized feng shui at home, in the office, wherever you may be… in 8 weeks. It’s not filled with strict rules or what you “must” do. Its filled with information, questions, exercises and even videos and classes to help you confidently create amazing spaces with killer feng shui and live with more flow. Learn more about the 8-week feng shui adventure & grab your copy to get started right HERE… And, as always, please let me know what happens! xoxo Dana