Citrus is one of the greatest brighteners, and as I look at a bowl full of several oranges I can’t wait to eat, I can confirm that citrus can be magnetic and enticing! Citrus also welcomes in wealth and creates more harmony in a space.
How amazing, right?!
And there are so many ways to use it!
Sniff your way out of a summer slump! by Dr. Gabriele Van Zon, Feng Shui Universal
Have you ever experienced midsummer slump? Mood swings and the lows of midsummer doldrums, heat fatigue, postpartum blues (even after a splendid vacation), and – could it be possible – boredom will get you down and begging for a change.
With feng shui tools we can diagnose the basic syndrome and come up with a cure. A vision board with mood-lifting images might be one. Another could be the happy tunes of a favorite show, like Mamma Mia for example. Ice cream may not be the answer if extra pounds are part of your summer struggle. A small piece of 70 % dark chocolate may stimulate the taste buds, as well as provide some extra phenyl ethylamine for a quick pick-me-up.
Perhaps you noticed that we are talking about qi (chi) and what we experience with the senses. Another, often underestimated mood make-over is the qi of our olfactory experience. Sniffing something pleasant is a faster way to cheer up, rather than looking at a treasured souvenir or hearing a favorite song.
Charles Wysocki, PhD, a behavioral neuroscientist at the Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia says that “the olfactory system is like an interstate highway connection to the emotional part of the brain, while our visual and auditory systems are more like country roads.”
Thus, let’s ride our way out of a summer slump with a feng shui quick fix of olfactory sensations. When you smell an essential oil, the olfactory receptors in your nose immediately respond and send signals to the brain.
Research shows that the cheeriest scents may be citrus. The phytochemical in citrus fruit is limonene which is a cell-protectant antioxidant. One study at Ohio State University found that sniffing lemon oil can improve your mood-regulating hormone. Citrus is also recommended to overcome those dreaded 3 pm slumps because the pick-me-up scent of citrus can increase your energy. Stimulating the olfactory nerve inside your nose activates the limbic system of the brain which is associated with mood.
“Citrus scents boost your mood” says Alan Hirsch, MD, director of the Smell & Taste Treatment & Research Foundation in Chicago. He suggests that “age may be in the nose” since women wearing a grapefruit fragrance were perceived by men as being an average of 6 years younger.
Feng shui tips for choices in the family of citrus aromas:
- Orange essential oil is stimulating, improves alertness and elevates mood. Orange has 96 % limonene.
- Grapefruit with 95% limonene is energizing and uplifting; the scent can help to balance the appetite.
- Lemons, highest in limonene, are a tonic for supporting the nervous system; it improves mood and is therapeutic in counteracting the onset of any kind of cold or sore throat.
- Tangerine with 93 % limonene calms nervous irritability, aids digestion, uplifts the spirit and promotes a sense of security.
- For depth and lasting power, spearmint, peppermint or wintergreen can be added to citrus oils.
- All of these oils, whether pure or mixed, have cleansing powers and antiseptic properties. Added to a spray bottle, they could disinfect your bathroom and kitchen counters without the use of harsh chemicals. And in a small spray bottle, they could be travel companions.
- Citrus aromas create a nice note when added to the dishwasher.
Olfactory sensations are powerful, immediate and fleeting. These sensations are deeply imbedded in our memory banks, waiting to be reactivated at the slightest prompt from an aromatic source.
I’m ready to get a basket of lemons, Gabriele, thank you! xoxo Dana
P.S.: The Love Camp is coming (!!!) to transform life with so much more love! It’s the ultimate in Feng Shui to multiply your manifesting magic.
The FREE 3-Video series kicks things off right HERE!!! It’s packed with Feng Shui to help you create even more openness, magnetism and more LOVE in awesome, tangible ways!
This hour of Feng Shui videos for love starts soon and it’s only up for 21 days a year…so if you’re ready for a lighter, brighter, more love-filled life, you won’t want to miss it! xoxo!!!