Of course I’m not going to share with you ways to tap into a nirvana state that gets associated with the idea of “higher consciousness”, because I’m not a guru and I’m also not going to pretend I know every secret of the universe. That said, lately I’ve been waking up out of a haze that I didn’t know I slipped into over the past year and a half. It was a haze of incredible amounts of work, of overcommitment, not strong enough boundaries and ensuing confusion. Every single day the world’s getting brighter and much more simple… and I realized… it was all consciousness.
Consciousness is actually defined as “the state of being awake and aware of one’s surroundings.”
That might not seem like such a big deal, but when you look at your life right now and how much order is in it, how much it glows, how much you feel you can affect change and how much you are in love with right this very moment you’ll have a sense of your own awakeness.
Consciousness is about being awake, present and aware. As much as it may not seem like a big deal, this quality of consciousness is vast. Wherever you’ve been asleep physically, in a mental haze, stuck in incomplete grief or unfinished projects… it’s all a veil that separates you from all the wild magic of every moment.
Let’s get more of the magic back today…!
My two Buddhist prayers for most of this year have been to grow the love in my life and to learn ways to love myself more profoundly. After all, if you’re living in love, that’s the ultimate. It’s the super-magnet, it’s the profound life-changing surge of energy…
In the one or two hours a day I sit myself down to chant at my Buddhist temple, my mind wanders off into ideas and all kinds of thoughts of what I should do and what… and how… and then it comes back to this simplicity as I lose focus in all this thinking: I’ve got to wake up more.
That’s the way I’ve been loving myself and the people around me. It’s the way I’ve been making so much more space for all the new stuff coming. It’s been the beauty cure and the missing link…
Consciousness. Simply waking up more.
Every single practical way you can be more “awake” in a day will accomplish bizarrely mystical effects, and once you start waking up more and more, the fun starts. Synchronicity (those wonderful things that come together for you so simply), finding new- and more right-for-you- ways to heal yourself, the feeling of power to reorganize your life so it works for you, so much more creativity pouring like electricity all come from just waking up a little more, then a little more.
Turns out the profound sages were all looking to wake up more, too.
These ways I’ve found to wake up more might spark some of your own…!
1. Try to sleep deeper. There are so many ways to do this…from fancy sleep masks to blackout curtains… and THESE tips can help get you started!
2. Let go of toxic substances. Not even Advil enters my life now unless its the last resort. I mean, everything. I don’t drink at all. I don’t go into substance-filled spaces. I’ve still allowed the green tea to sit in my life, but even coffee was mind-altering for me… and exhausting, too.
3. Meditate by walking. Open your eyes and see the world around, near and far. It’s the most simple meditative practice, as every single step you take helps to integrate both hemispheres of your brain and literally wake you up!
4. Vitamins. Are. Great. For me, vitamins are great. I lacked so much vitamin D even with so much sun in California. And more! Oh the joy I get from my supercharged vitamins!!!
Of course, you know your body and doctors are the #1 place to start to get any advice on supplements to take… but when it comes to finding the brand, the type, the formulation… I really like to feel it out. After all, not all supplements even get absorbed or utilized… and yet, some do. To find the multivitamins and supplements for me, I tried a little self muscle testing. This method from Catherine Davies is fun…and certainly can’t hurt.
5. Get interested. It’s way more awakening to be interested rather than interesting. If you’re not interested… go where you are interested!
6. Commit to handling problems. This will wake you up like nothing else. Clearing the clutter of problems accumulated while you were in a haze will make the present moment more and more and more inviting. The more you’re willing to face, the more energy you’ll find to sort things out and the more all sorts of solutions tend to appear.
I remember- after a long hiatus from my own Buddhist practice my life
kind of completely fell apart and I was left with a mystery medical condition that seemed to have no fix but almost 20 pills a day that made me sick, bald and incapacitated. I decided I had to wake up more and make the solution to my medical mystery my mission to fix. I sat down to chant until I literally couldn’t any more… and then wandered back to work. The diet that would ultimately cure me popped up on my computer screen.
I think of things like that when I’m in a space where I don’t know how to solve something. Commitment to fix it is the fix of it.
7. Find an art practice. And practice it…! This is how the feeling I can only call the ” invisible electricity of creativity” can flow through your body every day. And it’s the best feeling in the world…!
Of course, any way you can clear space and lift the veil of clouds from your mind, body and life will help you wake up more and more. From there, you find your own best ways to make changes.
P.S.: The Love Camp is coming (!!!) to transform life with so much more love! It’s the ultimate in Feng Shui to multiply your manifesting magic.
The FREE 3-Video series kicks things off right HERE!!! It’s packed with Feng Shui to help you create even more openness, magnetism and more LOVE in awesome, tangible ways!
This hour of Feng Shui videos for love starts soon and it’s only up for 21 days a year…so if you’re ready for a lighter, brighter, more love-filled life, you won’t want to miss it! xoxo!!!
Welcome to Creating Genius!
I spent the last year creating this e-guide to balancing and unblocking life by pulling together the best of a decade of space-changing and life-shifting feng shui! It’s 50 days and 50 ways to use feng shui to shift your space and your routines to move from “stuck” to creatively inspired and alive.
Start Creating Genius right HERE!
And… As a special bonus when you get the e-guide– a bonus that thrills me!— I’m leading a private Creating Genius + Artist’s Way Group for all of you, to guide you online through twelve weeks of creative awesomeness this year!
Gather up your magic & make gorgeous dreams come true!
Love you Dana 🙂 it’s interesting that I’ve been in a bit of a haze the last twelve months too and had drifted from being daily reader that I’ve now come back and find you nailing so much stuff that’s exactly relevant to me. Thanks for always sharing your journey so openly xx