Being grounded is not synonymous with being boring. Rather, its the process of plugging into the matrix of energy in the world on a physical and energetic level and allowing it to fill you with life! I spend this weekend in the park re-reading my favorite parts of the Shakti Gawain classic “Creative Visualization” and I thought I would share the basics of her exercise on “Grounding Yourself And Running Energy”.
Creative Visualization is the sound foundation for creative and positive thinking. Your mind needs to be trained just like your body or your animals need training. Its not intuitive to all of us to know how to get centered, calm down, breathe or get connected to the energy of the earth in a profoundly simple way, but its extremely important to do.
When you are grounded, your body is more open to receive prosperity, you are more focused, optimistic and stable. I’ve written about this in the past (check it out HERE, more on getting grounded) but this exercise so thrilled me that I had to share it:
- Sit upright in a chair or cross-legged on the floor.
- Get relaxed. Count backward (she recommends from 10 to 0, I say from 100 to 0 is what works for me) and breathe deeply.
- Picture a cord in your spine running down into the earth.
- Imagine that the Earth’s energy is running up through your feet and through your entire body, up your spine until it flows out of your head.
- Once you have that energy flowing from the earth, imagine that the energy of the universe is flowing from the top of your head down through the same “cord” in your spine and into the earth.
- Feel both of those energy flows – up and down- mixing and flowing simultaneously.
(ps, when you really get good at this its both trippy & invigorating!)
Of course, you should totally read the Creative Visualization book. I have carried it with me around the world for 15 years, and have read it about 100 times, and it never gets old!
Enjoy! xoxo Dana