I have been using Grapefruit Seed Extract on and off for about a decade, and just when I forget about it, I realize I need it! While I am not a doctor- or even a homeopath of any kind- I can speak for 10 ways that a little squeeze bottled filled with grapefruit seed extract has come in handy around the house!
Given that I have never had anything but a great experience with GSE, I am pretty excited to share all these fun ways it can improve your life. That said, we all have particular sensitivites, so please to not ingest anything without consulting your doctor first, and don’t spray or apply anything to your body without testing it out on a small area of skin first. There are controversial dialogues about GSE, but in my view, if you use something very occasionally, but it can help in so many different ways that no “phramceutical drug” can, what’s the harm?! Thats my view, but you should form your own. Read more pro’s and con’s HERE if you’d like, but without further ado, here are the ways I love to use grapefruit seed extract in my own world!
10 Ways I Love To Use Grapefruit Seed Extract
1. A natural cold & virus killer. Call me crazy and or call it overkill, but I love to put five drops of GSE a few times a day in a big glass of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice diluted 1/2 with spring water whenever I feel a cold coming on… and 90% of the time, its gone.
2. Candida salvation. Suffering from skin rashes of unknown origin, foggy brain, intense sugar cravings, depression or mood swings and exhaustion? Perhaps some IBS symptoms and/or yeast infections plaguing you? You might just have a candida (systemic yeast) infection and a little GSE in capsule or liquid form can help knock it out. A quick search of the internet can give you a small timetable of suggested doseages and rotation of your GSE intake to help beat candida.
3. Make your own “anti-germ” soaps. Castile soap or some other pure liquid hand soap with 6-10 drops of GSE stirred into the lot becomes a very safe anti-bacterial soap!
4. Wash down your kitchen & doorknobs. When it comes to cutting boards that meet the likes of fish, meat and poultry I use a damp sponge and wipe on a few concentrated drops of GSE directly to the board before washing it. I do the same for doorknobs in cold season, and use it to wipe down countertops in this more concentrated form. That said, a few drops can help disinfect your dish sponge, so its a win-win!
5. Soak your toothbrush. 5 drops in a cup of water can really clean off that toothbrush that accumulates who-knows-what bacteria! I try to do this once a week and my toothbrush tends to stay “attractive” for much longer!
6. Sore throat helper: When my throat is on fire, five or six drops in a cup of water as a gargle does the trick. I rotate that with warn water & seasalt gargles until its all better!
7. Nail infections? Put about 9 drops in 1/2 cup of warm water and soak.
8. Make a home cleaning spray. About a quart of water in a spray bottle mixed with 40-50 drops of GSE= your new Lysol minus a litany of chemical compounds you can’t even pronounce!
9. Travel with it to help prevent parasites. This is when I first learned of GSE. I was in Mexico for a few months on an extended trip that turned into the absolute scariest parasitic adventure of my life! Travelling with GSE and having a few drops a few times a day in water can help prevent travellers stomach ills. I try to never fly out of the country without it!
10. Wash your fruit & veggies. Fill your kitchen sink with cool water and about 20 drops of GSE. Plop in your produce, soak and rince afterward before stocking your crisper or fruit bowl.
And…I could list about 20 other uses for grapefruit seed extract that I have read about but I wanted to pass along those that I have tried and have come to love! Enjoy! xoxo Dana