I used to lose my voice about once a week when I’d get busy with work. I’d be miserable, drained and resentful of whatever mysterios force I felt was stealing my voice!
This went on and on…
Until I started taking more of my own advice.
This has happened to me much more intensely many times before. There’s no medical reason underlying my once often absent voice (I saw two doctors and even got a CT scan!)… but I’ve found that these problems really point to much bigger lifestyle imbalances.
In the problem lies the solution. Always for me.
Today, here are my time-tested 8 ways to stay calm under pressure. I don’t always get to them in time to prevent a small stress explosion, but I always find them helpful to get back to… dynamic balance!
If you are under a lot of time pressure (even in the world you love, doing things you dream about doing) you may feel like your body won’t stop running and your mind won’t stop racing. Both are true. The stress and worry trigger histamines in your brain that serve to help you find solutions and survive… and when the deadlines are relentless, so is the heavy-fire of “alertness” chemicals.
1. Exercise is an antidote to a lot of this in my experience. Of course, its been the last thing I reach for, but now exercise is moving up my list of must-dos when things speed up. Walk, yoga, run, swim… do what you love. My exercise obsession: Jane Fonda exercise videos from the 80’s.
2. Time off is another great cure. I know, you have no time. Neither do I…. but we all do. Taking a few hours out of the day to be alone is a vital part of getting yourself back together. Go to a sauna, visit a museum, be silent… Read a book under a tree… You will come back better than before!
3. Eat foods to help you unwind. This list of 13 stress-fighting foods from Prevention Magazine is my shopping list today, especially berries, cashews and oranges! I have a feeling I’ll be making a raw cheesecake filled with berries and cashews for after the spa today!!!
“Adaptogens work a bit like a thermostat. When the thermostat senses that the room temperature is too high it brings it down; when the temperature is too low it brings it up. Adaptogens can calm you down and boost your energy at the same time without over stimulating. They can normalize body imbalances. By supporting adrenal function, they counteract the adverse effects of stress.”
5. Try some EFT, otherwise known as Tapping. If you’ve never done tapping before, HERE is how to get started. This very simple technique can help you unload tons of stress from your body.
6. Add humor. Seriousness makes things heavier, much heavier.
7. Get help. If you are too proud to ask for help, you are missing out on the greatest creative experience in the world: collaboration & synergy!
8. Stay silent for a day or so. A lot of stress comes from hyper-communication. We get so busy putting our voice out on the world that we forget to reverse the flow. Listen, be quiet, even write less. Stay off social media. Walk away from the Internet. There’s a lot of power in slence.
The one thing you can’t forget to do when you get busy… even if you are dealing with unravelling lots of problems: celebrate, bigly. Every single daily triumph is very worth a celebration. xoxo Dana
A big P.S. today: Every New Year, an intimate and extremely magical group of people come together online for eight weeks of Feng Shui to clear all their clutter, eliminate creative blocks, doubts, disorganization and negativity from their lives.
The results never fail to astonish me. It’s the most mystical way to multiply your manifesting magic with practical action.
And, if you want to dive in to your own personalized feng shui in a modern, practical way, Say hello to Feng Shui 101. Its the guide I made for you to create your own personalized feng shui at home, in the office, wherever you may be… in 8 weeks. It’s not filled with strict rules or what you “must” do. Its filled with information, questions, exercises and even videos and classes to help you confidently create amazing spaces with killer feng shui and live with more flow. Learn more about the 8-week feng shui adventure & grab your copy to get started right HERE… And, as always, please let me know what happens!